Updated: Jan 2, 2022
The rationale for detoxification is simple: We ingest and are exposed to many toxins in today’s world. Toxins can act as carcinogens or mutagens and disrupt numerous metabolic pathways, leading to a multitude of detrimental effects. In 2006, the CDC reported that the average American has 116 of 148 tested synthetic compounds in their body. The increased toxic load leads to inflammation as most toxins are pro-inflammatory. A chronic state of inflammation from accumulated toxins leads to disease.
Signs and Symptoms of Toxin Buildup Include:
· Headaches · Muscle aches and pains · Fatigue · Asthma · Allergies · Skin disorders, including acne and rosacea · Unexplained weight gain/inability to lose weight · High blood pressure · Fatty, yellowish lumps around eyes · Abdominal bloating · Excessive abdominal fat · Discomfort over the liver · Trouble digesting fatty foods · Heartburn · Dark spots on skin · Overheating of the body/excessive perspiration · Chronic infections · Mood swings · Poor mental function · Lowered stress tolerance · Deceased libido · Infertility
Exogenous & Endogenous Toxin Exposure
Lifestyle choices can increase toxic burden stressing the detox capacity of the liver. These include smoking, excessive alcohol and caffeine consumption, drugs (recreational, prescription and OTC), and dietary choices of fast-food products, refined food products, artificial food additives like preservatives and colors, antibiotics and growth hormone used in production of meats and dairy products.
Additional environmental sources of exogenous (outside the body) toxins include (but are not limited to):
· Air pollution, smoke, smog
· Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, and fertilizers
· Solvents (cleaning agents, gasoline, glue, paint, nail polish/remover, perfumes, etc.)
· Off-gassing from carpets, paint, furniture
· Plastics that have been subjected to heat, including bottled water
· Artificial preservatives and flavorings
· Heavy metals
· Non-purified water
· Excessive alcohol or caffeine
· Chlorinated & brominated products (commercial bread products)
· Radiation & EMFs (cell phone, Wi-Fi, radiology, airplanes, microwave ovens, etc.)
· Poor quality fats (canola, soy and corn oils, etc.)
· Personal care and beauty products
· Toxins like BPA from food product containers
Endogenous (within the body) toxins include:
· Bacterial, fungal and yeast overgrowth
· Metabolic reaction byproducts like CO2 and ammonia (in excess)
· Excess hormones caused by overproduction or poor elimination
· Undigested food in the gastrointestinal tract due to constipation or reduced digestive capabilities
Core Restore supports the 2 Phases of Liver Pathway Detoxification
· Phase I detoxification: Enzymes chemically transform lipid soluble compounds into water soluble compounds
· Phase II detoxification: Phase II enzymatic reactions make the molecules more water soluble and less reactive. Phase II enzyme activity is considered anti-carcinogenic and anti-mutagenic.
Ready to Detox with Dr. Anya?
Click your preferred option of Core Restore Detox Program using the links below - 7-day or 14-day, chocolate or vanilla flavor - in one of the following links to purchase through Fullscript. The kit includes an easily digestible protein powder, comprehensive multivitamin and multimineral, supplements to support phase 1 and 2 of liver detoxification, and a manual with recipes.
Adapted from power2practice.
Always consult with your healthcare professional before starting a detox program.